Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cooking from Scratch; Blueberry Cobbler!

                               I had such great success with brownies from scratch, I was excited to try something new. Picking the next recipe was easy since cobblers have always been one of my favorite treats. The tartness of the berries combined with the warmth of the crust is a little piece of delicious heaven.
 I was hoping to make a Blackberry Cobbler. Unfortunately for me blackberries don't seem to be in season this time of year, and the local market didn't carry any. They did however, have a ton of Blueberries. I learned that in Australia, Blueberry season starts in December and goes on through until April. So even though I couldn't find my berry of choice, the blue variety were in abundance and looked delicious.

You can find the original recipe from allrecipes.com  here.

Yummy Blueberry Cobbler

  • 3 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1 1/8 cups white sugar
  • 4 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 cup whole milk

  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 pinch ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup boiling water

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 11x7 inch baking dish.
  2. Spread the blueberries out to cover the entire bottom of the baking dish. Squeeze the juice from the lemon over them. In a medium bowl, stir together the butter and 1 1/8 cups sugar until smooth. Stir in flour and baking powder alternately with the milk until smooth. Batter will be thin. Spoon over the berries, and spread evenly.
  3. In a small bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups of sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Sprinkle over the top of the batter. Dust with a pinch of cinnamon, then pour the boiling water over the entire dish.
  4. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.



Based on reviews this recipe received, I made a few minor changes. Most replies stated that the cobbler was too sweet. So based on their comments, I reduced the sugar for 1 1/2 cups to 3/4 cup. For good measure I also added 1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract. 

And the verdict? I'm glad I made the changes I did.The berries were delicious, and the lemon gives it a little bit of zest.  The cobbler portion had great flavor (and not too sweet!) but was a little more cake like than I would have preferred. I like the kind that has a crisp and slightly crunchy topping. I will definitely be making this again, but might make additional alterations at the end for texture.








No comments:

Post a Comment