Thursday, October 6, 2011

In Dedication to Oma

I have no idea who came up with the phrase "You don't realize what you had, until it's gone" but they were definitely on to something.  I don't take things too seriously most of the time, but this is a week that has really made me think. My maternal grandmother has been admitted into hospice, and my paternal great grandmother just passed away. 
I always called her Oma, even though she was my great grandmother. I didn't know her as well as I would have liked. She didn't speak English, and I don't really speak German. We visited a lot when I was very young and living in Germany. After I moved to America, the only time we spoke was when I was with my Grandma. Because sadly, I forgot almost all the German I knew.
I've been wanting to take a trip to Germany, but there are always other things that seem to come up. After putting it off, and putting it off, it is now too late.
So I thought it would be nice to show some of my favorite photos.
Anna and Johann Thiel. My great great grandparents, and Oma's Parents

My Oma Anna and Opa Josef
Oma. Not sure the year this was taken.


My Oma's home, many many years ago.
A more recent photo of Oma



I cropped my photo next to my Oma's wedding photo. I have to say we look a lot alike, even though we are separated by 2 generations.
My Dad says she was a very sweet, and loving woman. I wish I had a bit more foresight and tried harder to get to know her better. So don't make my mistake, go call a long lost family member, even if you need a translator in tow.

No comments:

Post a Comment