Friday, July 1, 2011

The Guilt Candle.

Tonight I bring to you....my Guilt Candle. I'm sure everyone has had one. That candle you thought you would adore and turned out to be sadly mediocre. A guilt candle is not bad enough to throw away.  You paid good money, and technically there is nothing wrong with it.
So its the candle you burn, not because you want to, but because you feel you should.
So introducing...Beachside. Beachside is made by Slatkin and Co and is described as "A lush, delicate blend of orange blossom, exotic Ylang Ylang and White Musk."
When I first found it in the store, I smelled a slight tang (which must be the Orange Blossom) and thought that it would mature into a full beachy smell when melted.
Once I took it home and lit it, I experienced a problem that so many Slatkin Candles seem to have...drowning wicks. The flame was so low the edges were getting cold and looked like it was abot to go out completely. The only fix I know for this problem is to pour out some of the wax. What a waste! Once the surplus wax was gone the candle burned beautifully, unfortunately I found the scent incredibly boring. The slight zest I got when it was cold was gone. It was a soft, generic scent that I couldn't describe accurately. I honestly don't understand how this is supposed to be a "sandy" smell. Orange blossom, Ylang Ylang and white musk don't remind me of the beach in the slightest.
So it became the candle I burned not because I loved it, but because I paid for it. I burned it from the time I walked in the door to the time I went to bed secretly wishing it would hurry up and be done already. It's very similar to being a little kid, and having to eat your vegetables before you can dig into the ice cream.

Normally when I finish a candle I feel a little disappointed that its gone, but with a Guilt Candle I feel relief. I'm ready to move on and melt something that will get me excited

 

No comments:

Post a Comment