Sunday, July 3, 2011

Recipe of the Day 07/03/11!

Photo from All Recipes
It's the day after I cook a fairly large meal. What does that mean? Leftovers!
Leftovers don't have to be boring. An easy way to make them more interesting is to change up a side dish. Since we're keeping the broccoli from yesterday, I decided to switch up the corn on the cob for beans. But they can't be just any beans! I went to www.allrecipes.com and searched for the best bean recipe they had to offer.
I found http://allrecipes.com/recipe/old-settlers-baked-beans/detail.aspx Old Settlers' Baked Beans written by Kathy Schulz.



Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 pound bacon, diced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
  • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans, undrained
  • 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (16 ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained

Directions

In a large skillet, cook beef, bacon and onion until meat is done and onion is tender. Drain any fat. Combine all remaining ingredients except beans. Add to meat mixture; mix well. Stir in beans. Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. casserole. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until heated through.                                                                                                     
 
My Revisions;  Omitted the 1/3 cup regular sugar. (Too sweet with both! I kept brown sugar ), fried the bacon in a separate pan, (NOT with the onions and ground beef, its easier to keep bacon fat out of the meal, plus the bacon gets crispy) I didn't bake it, instead I let it simmer in a large skillet on my stove top while stirring occasionally.
My Additions; Cayenne Pepper (because I like a bit of heat), Liquid Smoke (give it a nice full bodied smoky flavor)
Next time I make this, I may omit the bacon (gasp!) it adds a strange texture to the dish. I think the liquid smoke would be an adequate replacement for the flavor and saltiness of the bacon.
With all the meat in this dish, you could actually serve this as the main course. All you need is a vegetable and it is a complete meal. 
Absolutely 10/10! I will make this many more times!


My photo

No comments:

Post a Comment